adsense beta

Monday 19 January 2015

"I" am the inspiration

An example - When i want to lose weight, my room becomes a poster factory! I LOVE to surround myself with inspiring quotes that reasonate with my beliefs, one liners that will keep me going when my will isnt that strong on a particular day, diets do's and donts and well pictures of perfect physiques. I want my goal in front of eyes, at the back of my mind at all times. Basically whenever i set any goal, be it even spiritual or financial, i surround myself with people who have the same vision, i read, study, write, constantly "literally" dream, basically start obsessing about whatever i want to achieve at that point in time, till i have achieved it. So some time back i remember Hrithik Roshan's front page picture in Bombay times showing his "Before" totally out of shape, fat, unhealthy body next to an "After" Ripped, chiselled, perfect Greek God physique. I immediately had to have that paper cutting, tucked away somewhere in my closet because even though at that time i had no intention of losing weight for some reason eventually i knew in my gut i would do in somewhere down the line. I read Ranveer Singh's interview a couple of days later, alongside pictures showing off his toned absolutely transformed physique where he said that particular fat to fit article of Hrithik is what had inspired him too to get in peak shape. As i started the poster factory, aka, putting up inspiring pictures of various physiques, i found myself sticking that saved article of Hrithik on my wall as well. No i dont aspire to have his Huge biceps, i like the spirit of it all. Everytime i look at it, that picture reminds me of the greatness a simple "human being", like you and me, is capable of. It got me thinking.

Before i make my point here's another example. I was never an early riser. Earlier in my life, my idea of morning was somewhere around 1 pm where i would struggle to get out of bed wanting just a little more sleep till eventually i would wake up directly at 4 pm. One cold winter morning i woke up at 9 am. How did this miracle happen? Well i had to go some place, an appointment perhaps but as i was still laying in bed, too lazy to get going, my mind starting racing - its so cold, the geyser is also broken, how can i bathe in cold water, the bed is so warm and inviting, my sleep isnt complete so ill be dull and tired throughout, yada, yada, let me cancel the appointment and reschedule for another day which eventually would never happen. Thats when i heard the sound of utensils being washed in the kitchen adjacent to my room. My domestic help had arrived and since my bedroom door was open i looked at her, standing there busy washing the utensils in chilled water. My first world problems seemed embarrassingly smaller and trivial when i realized that this woman, who lives in a slum, has no access to a geyser or the luxury of a decent bed, has 4 kids she tended to before coming here. And. She was pregnant too. She had recently revealed that to us and said would continue for this month atleast! That woman was still here on this freezing morning doing her job. I felt so ashamed i immediately got up and got going. But that incident has stayed with me till date. She did not speak to me. Her back was towards me the whole entire time. I never spoke to her either (though i should have thanked her but then i was a child back then.) And here is my point. Do you see how great the human spirit is? She didnt come and lecture me but just by her way of being, her showing up for her job despite the odds, was so bloody inspiring to me! Still is. If it matters, now i wake up at 5 am daily and i want to take this to 4 am. People complain that i give the examples of celebrities mostly and that its "easier" for them well because they have more help, expert help and generally being in the lap of luxury makes things easier. Agreed. But dont you think they have their struggles too? Hrithik for example underwent a brain surgery no less! Apart from his back problem that is. And at the time his marriage of over a decade was crumbling! Do you understand that sort of pressure? But he did what he had to do. And she (my maid) did what she had to. Why did i put the example of a celebrity alongside that of my maid. Because they both inspired me. And they both dont know that. No man is an island. Your actions affect a lot of people around you. Sometimes you dont even need to say, just showing up or doing something great indirectly can affect so many lives. Your immediate family. Your friend circle. Your co-workers. Your neighbourhood. And so on. I have been inspired by countless people. Sudha Chandran for example. Practising dance for long hours i would have so much pain in my knees and toes that i couldnt fall asleep at night. Bharat Natyam, as graceful as it looks can demand that much physically from you. Imagine her condition. With all that stress on just one leg! Her odds did not throw her off track. Her mighty will, her spirit overcame her mountain like obstacles. That inspired me. I found a way and would massage the sore parts with warm coconut oil before sleeping but i would be there for practise the next day, regardless. And if it matters here, i became a topper in my dance class. When i see a 60 year old Diana Nyad, with her shoulder issues and age and failed three attempts still conquering the dream swim, man conquering the sea/ nature, it inspires me so much to give my best in the swimming pool because i feel so humble and small in comparison. A part of me always says, if He/ She can do it, so can I. When a great director like a Rajkumar Hirani or a Gauri Shinde makes a great film that makes you want to think and change. When a woman like Savitri bai Phule, decides to get up and rebel, to have education rights for women as well despite being humiliated, threatened, ostracized and what not, she has touched generations! She doesnt realize the great work she has done, she has liberated generations of women, giving them something far far valuable to make them independent and live a life of dignity and informed choice and not live like a subjugated powerless animal. These educated women in turn will do their bit to make a difference to the world or at the very least ensure their own daughter gets the right to education having been educated herself. Its like a humble seed has been planted and as a result, hundreds of fruits which will give out millions of seeds and so on, a cycle much greater than yourself has begun. But again, as much as i am so thankful to others my point is to not look outside but within. You Become the change you want to see. It is good to be inpired but take that and then become an inspiration, an example yourself. Whatever it might be, maybe kindness is your forte, or discipline or business or teaching or even writing. Your drive, your character, your strength, your resilience, your skills and achievements, YOU can inspire others. Even when you are not looking to. You have a vision of what you can be, What you wish to become. What is stopping you? Why the gap between the present version and your future self? What is stopping the dream from becoming a reality? What can you do everyday to become that person more and more. Its like that phrase- If you are tired of all the shit get out of the toilet. Be the Change you want to see. And start now.
You dont even realize the immense power you hold. Get up and reclaim it.

- S. Chaudhary

No comments:

Post a Comment