adsense beta

Tuesday 19 April 2016

Is this for real?

Asking to pick just one favourite song or book or a favourite child (haha!) is a playful yet perplexing conundrum as I am spoilt for choice and torn in a conflict as my loyalties lie with many different authors for their unique talents, genres and styles. Now I am a fan of thrillers and suspense as against stories revolving around human emotions. Yet, if I have to pick one, I would say Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. This book tortured me. No seriously, I was sad for a while and kept thinking about this story for days after I had finished reading it. The characters made me angry, sad and shake my head in either disapproval or disappointment. I looked forward and kept reading only in the flickering hope that before I turn the last page at least one character would come back to their senses and quit the journey of self sabotage, they so passionately were hell bent on embarking. In short, just by weaving a fantasy tale the author got me to “care” about her highly damaged, unreasonably emotional, stubborn, egoistic, twisted and deeply flawed characters. THAT is a huge achievement for any author and definitely Emily Bronte deserves all the praise for making her character’s lives and readers minds miserable! If only by using words an author can construct an entire world inside your imagination, characters in flesh and blood with a mind and agenda of their own, characters who simply don’t exist yet feel so damn real that you care and worry about them as you turn each page with great curiosity and trepidation, then I would say the author has succeeded in selling you a compelling and believable lie aka fiction. And don’t we just love them for it?
-          S. Chaudhary

Written for Indispire Edition 113. #MyFavouriteFictionWriter

No comments:

Post a Comment